Wednesday, February 11, 2009

To Conceive The Second Time Around

It was a little different the second time.

Keith and I talked about having baby #2. We kept going back and forth for a little while as one baby is hard enough to manage that having a second baby was going to be that much harder. However, we do know the benefits of 2 children and didn't really want Joshua to go through "only child" syndrome. So, we decided that we were going to try for #2.

2 years apart seemed like a good age difference. Plus, I was about to turn 35, so we didn't want to wait too long. The next step was to figure out my body and if I was ready for #2. I was back to my prepregnancy weight, so that was good. It was just a matter of getting my "internal" body in order. I nursed Joshua for about 14 months, and didn't even get anything remotely to a period until October. (That was 13 months postpardon). Yes, I was so so lucky. To go just about 2 years without a period was awesome. However, it is not so awesome if you want to get pregnant again. Of course, they say you can get pregnant without a period and while nursing, but it is much more difficult and less likely.

During the December/January cycle, I decided to start charting my temperature in the morning to see if I was ovulating yet and what my cycle looked like. Prior to this cycle, I only had one other cycle, so I had no clue if I was back to normal or how long it would take to get there. During this cycle, things seemed to be going ok. My temp rose around day 17 day and stayed up... But, then on the 27th day, I got my monthly visitor. So, 9 days with a higher morning temperature is not enough to sustain a pregnancy. Oh well, I guess my body needs a little more time.

Apparently, it didn't need much more time, as I got pregnant during the January/February cycle. This was the first month where we "tried". Of course, we didn't expect it to happen the first time around. However, it happened the first time with Joshua. So, this shouldn't have come as the biggest surprise. I guess you can call me "fertile mertile".

It probably was a good thing that we got pregnant the first month. I am really an impatient person. The two weeks or so between when you ovulate and when you find out that you are or are not pregnant is torture. I bought an Answer Pregnancy Test on Sunday 2/8 when I went to the grocery store to pick up a few forgotten things with Keith. When we are paying for the test, Keith says outloud, "do you think you are pregnant?" It was so embarrasing. No, I didn't think I was pregnant and it was a little too early to test, but I wanted to have the test around so that I would be prepared and not have to run out to the store when I was ready to take the test.

That night, I had a dream that I took the pregnancy test and got 2 lines (pregnant). So, the next morning, I decided to take the test. I knew it was a little early, day 25, but the tests say that they can detect 4-5 days before your missed period. So, I decided to give it a shot. I only got 1 line (not pregnant). Oh well, I didn't think I was or wasn't pregnant. I just tested too soon and wasted a test. (Actually, I didn't think I was going to be pregnant this cycle). The next night, I had some symptoms that I get a day or 2 before my monthly visitor comes. So, in my head I am thinking, "This sucks. I am going to get my period". However, I decided I was going to take a test the next morning as it was Joshua's 17 month birthday, and I thought it would be cool to find out I was pregnant on that day. (Also, I went to Chef Geoffs for lunch on Tuesday. I went to Cheff Geoffs the day before I found out I was pregnant with Joshua, and it was also a Tuesday. I took the pregnancy test and got a positive result with Joshua on a Wednesday too. Ironic? Hmmm... Probably not. Most people probably think I am acting silly about that).

On Wednesday morning, day 27, I took the second Answer Pregnancy Test. I waited the torturous 3 minutes and looked at the test. "Is that a second line or isn't it?" I waited another 3 or so minutes and then looked at the test again. "Is that a second line or isn't it? Nah." I thought. Yet, I wasn't really sure, so I took Answer's customer service number with me and decided I would call them when I got off the train in DC. Assuming I wasn't pregnant, I even took my stash of tampons with me to work in case they were going to be needed later today.

I got off the train, and assuming I wasn't pregnant, I went into Firehook and ordered my medium coffee (with caffeine). The only problem was that for the first time that I have ever ordered coffee there, they were in the middle of brewing a fresh pot and didn't have any regular coffee. I waited for a few minutes and then they said, "we have decaf ready". Was this a sign? I took the decaf and walked out of the coffee shop.

After I left the coffee shop, I called Answer customer service and explained my dilemma. Of course, without the guy on the phone looking at the stick, he couldn't tell me for sure. "How faint does the line really have to be in order to really appear?" He said any line is an indicator and suggested that I wait 48 hours and test again as the hCG levels multiply over the first few days and that is what triggers the positive response. Of course, I don't really have the patience to wait 2 days. So, I walk down the street to CVS which is the opposite direction from my office and pick up a digital test. Hey, with a digital test, any dummy can read it saying "pregnant" or "not pregnant". I didn't need to interpret whether there was a plus sign or second line. I walked another 2 blocks away from my office to the JW Marriott and went into the women's bathroom. I peed on the stick and waited another 3 torturous minutes in the stall for the hour glass to turn to either pregnant or not pregnant. (Of course, it could show "not pregnant" and that might still mean that it was a little too early to test. I decided that if it didn't show "pregnant" that I was going to wait until Saturday to test again. Not that I am superstititous, but I really didn't have a desire to find out the fate of my pregnancy on Friday the 13th). After 3 minutes, the test showed up "pregnant". I looked at it for several seconds in utter shock and walked out of the stall. I looked in the mirror in the bathroom, smiled, and left the hotel and walked to my office.

I arrived at my office much later than expected. My little escapade took much longer than anticipated. I was hot from the walk to the office. (Hot flashes already or was it just that I was wearing my wool coat as I didn't realize today was going to be 70 in February?) I sat down at my desk with a smile on my face telling the world, "I have a secret!"

I decided how I was going to deliver the news to Keith. Of course, it was really hard to keep it from him during the work day. I emailed him 3 little things, but he didn't pick up on it at all. I told him that I didn't want sushi for Valentine's Day dinner. I told him that I didn't want to eat turkey sandwiches anymore, and I told him that I wanted my steak well done. OK, so maybe most people wouldn't pick up on those, but even so... My plan was to make a sign in nice marker that said "I am going to be a big brother in October" and pin it on Joshua for Keith to see. That plan didn't exactly work as when I got home, Keith was outside on our front stoop with Joshua. Plan B, still can do the note, but it needs to be more of the notebook paper and pen version.

I went upstairs and changed out of my work clothes and penned the note. "I am going to be a big brother in October. I am so excited". I came downstairs and sat at the dinner table and we began to eat. I gave Joshua the note and said, "give this to Dada". Of course, Joshua wasn't really interested in following those directions, but he did take the note, and I told Keith that Joshua has a note for you. Keith looked at me strangely, took the note and opened it. He was shocked. He thought I wasn't pregnant as he saw me take my "tampon bag" out of my cabinet this morning and he said to me, "I guess you aren't pregnant". He didn't know about the earlier dilemma with the Answer Test.


I am still in utter shock, but I am thrilled. Keith is in shock too, but he is also a little apprehensive right now. The feeling I felt when I found out I was pregnant with Joshua is how I feel right now. Although, I am a little nervous too. I know that Keith is a little apprehensive too because he is worried about finances and just managing with 2 little ones. I tried to assure him that everything is going to be great, and I know he is going to fully come around very quickly. Tonight, I went downstairs and dragged out my "What to Expect When You are Expecting" book and "Your Pregnancy Week by Week" from the downstairs bookcase. Pregnancy with Joshua didn't seem like it was that long ago, but it was 2 years ago and it does seem like it has been awhile. There are many things that are going to be so new to me. First order of business, set up an appointment with a new OBGYN.

No comments:

Post a Comment